What’s new in the Botley & North Hinksey area?
North Hinksey Parish Council is seeking a new Parish Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer (RFO). 30 hrs /wk £23,866 to £27,358 pro rata, Pension Scheme
They require a proactive Clerk and RFO with experience of local government and financial knowledge. This is a 30 hr/week role but will also consider job share.
Deadline: 24th Sept, more details and full Job Description
Coming up soon (important dates for your diary):
- Sun 30 Sep from 2 to 5pm at the TAP Social, Curtis Yard, BEET the Waste free mini food and music festival.
- Sun 7 Oct at Botley Community Orchard. Apple Day with apple pressing, tea and cakes.
The Branches summer programme is here
See our Events Calendar for more details of local events
West Way redevelopment update:
Mace have produced a further newsletter in August which you can also find on their consultation website. The newsletter outlines the work they are currently carrying out and planning for the next month. Current works are focused on providing the temporary accommodation for the Tesco and the stripping of the former Coop and Lloyds shops.
Botley Community Fridge
Calling all Gardeners and Allotment Holders:
If your allotment / garden is giving you more food than you can eat, please consider bringing the excess to the Botley Community Fridge at Saint Peter & Saint Paul Church, 81 West Way, Botley, OX2 9LS. This will be particularly important once the schools break up for the summer and some children will not be getting the food that they normally would at school. The fridge is unmanned – just put food in – and is open Mon-Sat 9-5, and Sun 11-5.
Help to reduce food waste and support your neighbours by putting food in the fridge and taking food from it.
Botley Bridges Family Support Service – this charitable company- has now been up and running for 18 months, and sessions and services are going strong with plenty of families from across Botley, Cumnor, North Hinksey and West Oxford benefitting from their activities.
The trustees and the steering group for Botley Bridges have worked really hard to get to this point, but to make this charity sustainable in the long term will require a lot of community support. In particular they are looking for the following help:
- Donations – the initial funding gained to set up the charity was only intended to fund the first two years of operation, so other fundraising is now beginning in earnest.
- Volunteers – willing helpers are needed for some sessions to help the staff run them. Can you spare a few hours a week to help?
- Trustees – there is an urgent need for additional Trustees, particularly people who might be willing to take on specific roles such as Treasurer or Secretary. The Trustee role is very much separated from the services, and would suit anyone with a penchant for organising. Individuals with specific skills (e.g. accountancy, fundraising and publicity etc.) are particularly being sought after.
For more details see the Botley Bridges website or contact Botley Bridges Chairman, Kim Randell via firstname.lastname@example.org
Tap Social – craft brewery
Tap Social Movement is a craft brewery based in Curtis Industrial Estate and open as a bar Friday and Saturday evenings. The premises houses the brewery, bottle shop and tap room and provides training and employment opportunities to people serving prison sentences. Find out more on their website www.tapsocialmovement.com.
Free Wifi in West Way shopping centre
Wifi provided by the Vale of White Horse District Council is now up and running in the West Way Shopping Centre. It can also be accessed in Seacourt Hall, which is very useful if you are booking or attending a meeting or event.
- Foodies flock to Botley Food Fayre – Oxford Mail Mon 17 Sept
- Campaigners unite against chosen route for Expressway – Oxford Mail Sat 15 Sept
- Break-in at Oxford Food Bank as thieves steal charity cash – Oxford Mail Mon 3 Sept
- Oxford drug dealer admits having cocaine and heroin – Oxford Mail Wed 29 Aug
- SNUBBED: M&S abandons huge new Oxford store – Oxford Mail Mon 20 Aug
- Homebase to close Botley branch – Oxford Mail Wed 15 Aug
- Residents slam developer over unfinished Tilbury Fields estate in Botley – Oxford Mail Mon 13 Aug
More on our News Page