Return to Directories

Services Directory

This page contains information and links on a wide variety of services in the local area. A map showing services and other data from across Oxfordshire can be found on the Oxfordshire Local View website, run by Oxfordshire County Council. Click on the following headings to reveal or hide the information for that section.


Botley Library

The Library is situated on Church Way at the western end of the shopping centre. Opening hours, services, contact details, books in stock and other information can be found on the Botley Library page of the Oxfordshire County Council website.  You can also sign into your account and use online reference materials through other pages on the same website. A free Books on Wheels service for the housebound run by the WRVS can be booked by phoning Botley Library on 01865 248142.



There are three schools located within our area:


Further details on each of these can be found on the Department for Education website including performance tables and (at the bottom of their pages) links to Ofsted reports. In addition, located next to Botley Primary School is Elms Road Children’s Centre (their Ofsted report), and operating within North Hinksey Primary School is Stepping Stones (Botley) Pre-School (their Ofsted report).

The final educational establishment in the area is the Harcourt Hill Campus of Oxford Brookes University. The main campus for Brookes is located in Headington.

Further useful links:



See the individual church websites for details of locations, services, contacts and more.


  • Calvary Chapel:
    Calvary Chapel meet at Botley Primary School in Elms Road, Botley.

You can also use Google Maps and Wikipedia to find out further information about the above churches and locate other churches over a wider area.


Medical Services (NHS)

If you’re looking for a local GP then the Botley Medical Centre in Elms Road is the place to go.

The Botley Medical Centre also features on the Data.Gov website. This also lists contact details for dentists, pharmacies and hospitals as well. Click on the heading for an organisation you want to know more about and you will be taken to the appropriate page on the NHS website where there will in turn be a link to that organisation’s own website.

The NHS website itself has a similar search feature that also includes categories such as opticians and support for carers. On this website you need to select your required category first, then type in your postcode before clicking the ‘Find’ button.

Other useful links and telephone numbers:

  • 111 is the NHS telephone number when you need medical help fast, but it isn’t a 999 emergency situation, recently introduced to Oxfordshire. It operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and calls from landlines and mobiles are free. You wil talk to a team of highly trained advisers who assess your requirements and either give advice or make arrangements directly for you as appropriate.
  • NHS Direct – confidential, direct  health advice 24 hours a day on 0845 4647.
  • NHS Oxfordshire – main switchboard 01865 336800. They also operate a free, confidential service for patients, relatives & carers called PALS (Patent Advice & Liaison Service) on 0800 0526088 or via

N.B. For details of other medical service and product suppliers such as acupuncturists, chiropractors and vets check out our Business Directory.


Citizens Advice Bureau

The main CAB office nearby is Oxford CAB branch at 95, St Aldates, tel. 08444 111444, however there is an outreach surgery run by Oxford CAB fortnightly on Thursdays at Elms Road Nursery School, by appointment only.


Postal Services

The local Post Office is located at 6, Elms Parade, Botley. The nearest large Post Office is Oxford Central Post Office at 102-104 St Aldates, Oxford. To find details on opening hours and services offered use the postcode and ‘service required’ search functions on the Post Office branch finder page of the Post Office website. This website also features a useful postcode finder function.

The Royal Mail website also features the same ‘branch finder’ and ‘postcode finder’ functions in addition to other useful information on available services.



Enquiries from this area are forwarded to Abingdon Police Station who cover the Vale of White Horse area (even though physically St Aldates Police Station at St Aldates, Oxford, OX1 1SZ is the nearest police station). Thames Valley Police have details for the Abingdon Outer neighbourhood on ther website (which includes our area) with a link to a monthly neighbourhood update telling you what has been happening locally.

The non-emergency contact telephone number for the local Neighbourhood Policing Team is 101 (always use 999 for emergencies), and their e-mail address is You can also report a crime without giving your name or talking to the police by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Further contact details and details about reporting a crime or emergency can be found on the Thames Valley Police website.

Enter ‘North Hinksey’ or a local postcode on the Police local information page for details about the local team and crimes reported in this area.

Other useful links:


Fire Services

The headquarters of Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is located in Sterling Road, Kidlington OX5 2DU. Their  non-emergency tel. no. is 01865 895999 from 8.30am – 5pm, Monday – Thursday, 8.30am – 4pm, Fridays, e-mail  . Always use 999 for reporting a fire or other emergency requiring swift action. If you are hard of hearing, the RNID typetalk emergency number is 18000.

Other useful information about local fire services can be found on the Oxfordshire County Council website, and about fire safety on the Gov.UK website.

You can also check freedom of information requests to the Fire Service.



The Environment Agency is the main port of call on flooding issues. You should use the Environment Agency incident hotline to report incidents such as pollution  (telephone: 0800 807060  which is a Freephone, 24 hour service)  For general enquiries telephone: 03708 506 506 (Mon-Fri, 8am – 6pm). For 24 hour advice/information on flooding and flood warnings you can call Floodline on 0845 988 1188.

Further advice about flooding is available on the Vale of White Horse and Gov.UK websites.

In addition the Oxford Flood Alliance is a useful local organisation to refer to. Our local representative for this area is Ag MacKeith (telephone 01865 72445, e-mail address 


Utilities Companies

The company responsible for water and sewage issues in this area is Thames Water. Their 24 hour emergency telephone  number for reporting blocked drains or sewer problems is 0845 9200 800 . Other useful pages on their website cover problem reporting, contact details and a map showing works in progress.

Electricity & Gas:
To report a gas leak either in the house or street call the National Grid on the National Gas Emergency Service telephone number 0800 111 999. They are responsible for the gas transmission system in England. Further useful advice can be found on their gas safety and contact us pages.

National Grid are also responsible for the electricity transmission system in England and their electricity emergency telephone number is 0800 404090.

SSE are the electricity distributors for this area (although not necessarily the company billing you for your electricity) and they are the ones to contact if there is a power cut or other problem with the power supply. Their emergency telephone number is 0800 0727282.